Saturday, November 13, 2010

Open House comes to a close

Saturday, November 13, closed the Open House with 4,920 guests, bringing the total tos 43,034.  We ended the 20-day Open House with 163 referrals and thousands of very favorable comments.

One of my favorite experiences happened today around 2:00 pm when Kevin and Lita Acdal came from the Big Island with their daughter, Chantel Hidaro, Chantel's two daughters (11 and 13) an aunt and a family friend.  Bishop Wilkes, bishop of the Honokaa ward had called me earlier in the week and explained that Chantel had terminal cancer and the family was hoping we could accommodate her with a tour of the temple.  Chantel's husband had been killed in an auto accident in 2004.  I was able to give them a personal tour and we spent almost an hour in the temple.  As we left the temple the friend (a lady in here 50's) grasped my hands in hers, pressed them to her forehead, and said she would never forget her feelings inside the temple as long as she lived.  She described it as having "chicken skin" all over her body.

Bishop Wilkes reported afterwards that the next day Chantel was back at church, and said all she wanted to do was go back to the temple.  So, the bishop processed a temple recommend card so she could attend the dedication this coming Sunday.

I had performed the sealing of Kevin and Lita in the Kona Temple five years ago, and Kevin told the bishop how surprised he was that President McArthur was so warm and friendly since his recollection was that I was a "stern" temple president.  I guess I let my guard down...will have to be more careful to protect my reputation.