Wednesday, November 17, 2010

David Hanneman

In 1960, before the Palomar Stake was organized, the District held a Samoan Luau fund-raiser (taalolo) at the recently constructed meetinghouse in Vista.  A Polynesian group from Orange County was contacted to help us and one of the men who helped us was David Hanneman.  I later met David when I was called as Regional Representative (1977) and assigned to the Anaheim Region.  He was, I believe, on the High Council working with the missionary program.

 He now lives in Laie and has been here for many years, and is a member of the Laie 3rd ward, the ward we attend on Sunday.  When we first attended the ward there was David Hanneman and as he greeted us he recognized me and reminded me of our relationship in the Anaheim Region, and said he had a letter from me in his file at home.  (The next week he brought the letter to church to remind me.)

He served as president of the Laie Temple, as a patriarch, and is still the historian for the Polynesian Cultural Center.  Of all those we've met in Laie, David Hanneman stands head and shoulders above all the rest -- a true disciple of Christ.  One day, when I grow up, I hope to be more like him.