Friday, January 29, 2010

VC Visitor asks for Baptism

On Monday a young couple came to the VC and as we walked through the exhibits I learned that she was a member but he was not.  They were married two years ago and have a "blended" family: 2 of her children and 3 of his.

I learned Rob had met with the missionaries in the past, attended church every Sunday, and seemed like a "dry" Mormon.  So I said "Rob, you need to be baptized."  And he agreed.  I said, "We could to it today.  How would you like to be baptized in the Pacific Ocean in the shadows of the temple?"  He said that it sounded like a good idea.  We talked further and I suggested that the two of them talk it over while touring the Polynesian Cultural Center and that they call his children to make sure they felt OK about it.  I gave him a card with my name and phone number so he could call me if they decided to go for it.

That evening Donna and I were serving at the PCC and we ran into them.  They said they were still trying to reach the kids.  Here's a picture I took with my cell phone.

They did not call that night or the next, or the next, so we figured they had decided to wait and be baptized at home in Toronto.

However, Thursday morning, while attending our weekly training meeting with all the VC missionaries, I received a call.  As the meeting ended and I recognized the number, I asked the missionaries to stay while I took a call.  I turned on the phone's speaker and we all heard Rob say that he wanted to be baptized that night (Thursday) before returning home.  [All the missionaries whooped and hollered.]

We scrambled.  The zone leaders came by and offered to help.  One of the sister trainers said she'd help with the arrangements.  And Donna and I took off to drive over to the other side of the island (Ko Olina) to do the baptism interview and fill out the forms.

Rob passed the interview with flying colors and we completed the form and both signed it.  I said my only concern was that his children would miss feeling the Spirit that is present at baptism services.  We talked about it for some time and then I said if I were you I would wait and be baptized with your family present.  It was the right thing to do and he agreed.  We then talked about going to the temple in a year and being sealed.  It turns out that his wife's brother is the Lehi City Manager and a stake president so they come to Utah regularly.  To make a long story a little shorter, we have an tentative appointment for them to come to the Jordan River Temple in March or April 2011 and I will perform their sealing.