Friday, June 4, 2010

Visitor Referral In Spite of the Odds

This morning before opening the VC I stopped at BYU-H's IT office for some help setting up my new laptop.  It took longer than I thought and before I knew it, it was after 9:00 am, meaning I was late opening up.  About that time my cell phone rang and the sisters called to say they had entered the VC, assuming I was there, and set off the alarm.

When I drove into the parking lot a lady was walking from her car towards the VC.  The alarm was still sounding.  After turning off the alarm and started on our "opening up" routine we heard someone try to open the front door, but when I got to the front there was no one there but I saw the "parking lot" lady across the courtyard by the Distribution Center.  So I went outside and waved to her, to let her know we were finally open.

She returned and we spent over an hour touring the VC.  She is originally from Fiji, but has lived in Seattle for the past 20 years.  She has LDS relatives in Samoa and in Utah and all of them have been good missionaries over the years.  Her Utah relatives, when they heard she was coming to Oahu told her to visit BYUH to learn more about the church.  Her son looked us up on the internet and found that we opened at 9:00 am so she wanted to be first.  She told her son, as she left the place they are staying, that she was going to learn more about the LDS church.  And she did.  When she left (her name is Virginia) I said that I wanted to give her a Book of Mormon and have it delivered to her in Seattle by two representatives of the Church who would answer more of her questions.  She said that would be "wonderful."  I have the distinct feeling she willl join the church and that other family members will follow!

Seems like the adversary tried to get in her way this morning but, fortunately, I had enough sense to go after her and invite her back to the VC.