Thursday, April 1, 2010

April Fool's Day

This morning I created a fictitious letter from Church headquarters to read at the beginning of our weekly training meeting at the VC, announcing the dates for the rededication of the temple and the open house.  The sisters hooped and hollered because it has been the hot topic of discussion around the VC and Laie for months.  They were soooo excited.  Even our Director, Elder Eubank, started to write down the dates.  Next "the letter" said that the Visitors' Center would be closed for the month of June for minor renovation and that the sisters would be transferred to the Big Island to work as ordinance workers in the Kona Temple, and there receive special training in the purposes of temples.  (more hooping and hollering)  The letter continued...all sisters whose scheduled release dates are in June, July or August will be given early releases and will be sent home the first of June.  Lastly I said that the senior couples would be given the month of June off as a vacation to return home or visit the other islands.  By this time some started to show skepticism and so I reminded them what day it was.  (more hooping and hollering ...but of a different tone)  Several of the foreign sisters, not knowing about the tradition of April 1 being "April Fool's Day" just sat there with glassy, confused stares on their faces.

But they got even with me, or at least tried to.

At 9:45 pm I got an emergency call from Sister Latu saying their toilet was overflowing and asked me to bring a plunger and help.  I believed her but before I could act, my other phone rang and it was Sister Larsen saying they needed to borrow my garden hose.  When I asked what for, she said there was a fire in their kitchen.  Now I'm starting to catch on, and then my phone rang again.  This time Sister Bridge called to say the sisters where missing from their apartment and no one knew where they were.  Finally, Sister Latu called back wanting to know where I was.  Needless to say, we all got a good chuckle out of April Fool's day.